Wednesday, September 12, 2012
10 reasons to support International Volunteer Managers Day and 10 ways to do it.
“Universally, people recognise the contribution of volunteers - in sport, health, emergency services, faith communities and the environmental lobby ...in fact volunteers are involved in just about every aspect of service delivery in all walks of life.
However, volunteering does not succeed in a vacuum. Behind this army of volunteers lies an equally dedicated group of individuals and agencies who are responsible for the coordination, support, training, administration and recruitment of the world's volunteers - skilled professionals who are adept at taking singular passion and turning it into effective action.
That is why we celebrate International Volunteer Managers Day every year on November 5.”
For years I have been an avid fan of this day. Here are my 10 reasons why people should support it
1. Volunteerism greatly benefits communities throughout the world. Behind many great projects lie the dedication and hard work of Volunteer Managers
2. Effective Volunteer Management advocates and promotes volunteerism
3. Volunteer Managers play a pivotal role in highlighting the great work of volunteers in their organisations and in their communities
4. Volunteer Management rightly aspires to be a recognised profession
5. Volunteer Managers are often unrecognized, unsupported and undervalued in some sectors
6. IVMD can be a powerful educational tool to educate and change perceptions on not only the role of managers but on volunteerism itself
7. Volunteer Management is a complex role and deserves the same respect given to other management roles
8. Volunteer Management enables vision to become reality
9. Effective Volunteer Management plays a part in changing lives
10. Volunteer Managers need the support of their volunteers, communities, friends and organisations to truly lead and inspire.
Here are 10 ways to support IVMD this year. And for once let’s reach out to other stakeholders. Let’s escape the echo chambers in Volunteer Management and call on community support. Because it matters!
1. Educate volunteers about the day
2. Send a letter to the nearest organisation to you that engages volunteers. Thank them for their efforts and ask them to celebrate IVMD
3. If your organisation has a Volunteer Manager send them an email on November 5 and wish them a happy IVMD
4. If you know a Volunteer Manager send them a message of support
5. Like the IVMD Facebook page and share it with all your friends http://www.facebook.com/groups/90188010197/
6. Watch this YouTube and Like and comment http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvSNHWKHc8s
7. Follow the day on Twitter https://twitter.com/#!/IVMDay
8. Respond to this blog and tell us why you support IVMD
9. Share this blog!
10. Share the fact that IVMD also stands for Inspirational Valuable Magnificent and Dynamic!
How we learn from our children! This post was inspired by an act of my daughter. When her mum arrived at work today she found this...
One of my favorite quotes is “To the world you may be one person but to one person you may be the world.” You may never know the profound...
You make a difference in the dash. Life is short. In the scheme of things this oft quoted saying must be true. Our planet has been here f...
Change management is a process that has been around for some time however, I have only recently become aware that there are consultants who ...