Contact DJ om acim4me@live.com

Name

Email *

Message *

Saturday, May 23, 2020

The 5 advantages of working from home during COVID





No walk up interruptions
I can be too polite. At the office, people often walk up to my desk to have a chat. It could be a question about volunteering. It normally is. But there is an expectation that I answer it straight away. During these times, I still get questions. But it is usually via email now. It gives me time to consider the question. And after some contemplation I believe that I am giving a better answer.

Travel Time
I spend two hours on a train travelling to and from work. It never really bothered me in the past. I would read a book or listen to music. But now I am valuing these two hours more than ever. In fact, I feel that I am more productive with these two extra hours spent planning and strategizing!

Volunteer Engagement
With thousands of volunteers scattered across an enormous state it has always been tough to engage with people. Travelling to places help. Meeting people on the ground has always been important for me. But travel can take a lot of your time and also it can be expensive. Now, videoconferencing seems to be the norm and I love it. I have met more volunteers in “lockdown” than I have met in normal times!

Finances
I have more money in my pocket. I am not buying as much coffee. The train costs have gone. Although I used to try to take lunch to work, too often I would forget and get lunch out.

The Hustle and Bustle
I work in a CBD. I also work in an open office space. It is always busy with people coming and going. There is noise. There is much movement. Right now I am not missing that. I am appreciating the silence that surrounds me. I still love my music. I can still work on projects with headphones on listening to the easy listening and classical music that I have always loved. But I am loving the lack of chaos around me.

To conclude, I do acknowledge that I am very fortunate that I can work from home during these times. I wake up each morning truly grateful that I still have a job. But I also believe that I have never been as productive as now. And also, I have fallen into the trap of working 10 or 11 hours of work a day without a decent break! I am trying to address that!
So how has the experience of working from home been for you?



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your message. It will shortly be reviewed. Namaste! DJ

Featured Post

The simple act of kindness.

How we learn from our children! This post was inspired by an act of my daughter. When her mum arrived at work today she found this...