Contact DJ om acim4me@live.com

Name

Email *

Message *

Friday, December 28, 2018

An Accidental Volunteer Meets Great Volunteer Managers!







Recently, as readers of this blog know well, I participated in a public demonstration and march in Brisbane. The march was to #stopadani. Adani want to open a new coal mine in the Galilee Basin in Queensland. Right now their trucks and machinery are sitting on the land waiting for the final go ahead. People power will stop this mine. And I have now found myself as a volunteer activist. The people power movement is being led, in many instances by our youth. My motivation for volunteering is my kids. Climate Change is real and climate action must take place now.


Getting back to the march. I got up early one fine Saturday morning to take the 50 minute train ride to the Adani HQ in the city of Brisbane. I arrived far too early but decided to head to the site anyway. I couldn’t miss where Adani calls home in Brisbane. A tall golden building. I felt it rather apt. On arrival I was surprised to find a small group of people gathered around the front of the building. Not knowing anyone I just walked up and stood with them. In front of them were a small team of about four who were addressing them. They were all young and all very energetic. I looked around me to discover I was probably one of the oldest there bar maybe a handful. On listening I discovered that I has accidently joined the core group of volunteers who were organising this event. Nobody seemed to mind my presence and I stood there for about 20 minutes as people were coordinated and the planning for the event explained. Road marshals were picked and people were handed yellow vests. Megaphones were handed out. First aid officers were pointed out and the police liaison officer was introduced.  Banners were given out and I gladly took one. The coordinators made every one of us feel very welcome. They gave us time for questions. They told us how inspired they were that we were there. After the orientation they ran to every volunteer present giving them a high five. The mood was joyous. Personally I felt I had found my tribe. People I had never met smiled, spoke to me and made me feel welcome.


In terms of Volunteer management they were super organised. They were articulate and confident speakers. They knew their job and they knew how to do it well. They instantly made the volunteers feel welcome and appreciated. They explained what we had to do and how we would do it. They allowed for feedback. They were concerned about safety and wellbeing. They respected everyone’s contribution no matter what task they had.


They would I imagine  never consider themselves volunteer managers. I doubt the crowd assembled even considered themselves volunteers. But here stood leaders and a community willing to give their time about a cause they cared about. And on seeing how they were treated and coordinated I have no doubt that many of them will be back but this time bringing more friends and family with them.


Over two thousand more turned up that day. Maybe more. There was passion but there was also joy. The event went off without a hitch and it gained great media coverage.


I take my hat off to those leaders and volunteers. I am more hopeful for my future and my kids future because of them. I don’t remember their names but I will never forget the effect they had on this accidental volunteer.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your message. It will shortly be reviewed. Namaste! DJ

Featured Post

The simple act of kindness.

How we learn from our children! This post was inspired by an act of my daughter. When her mum arrived at work today she found this...