20 reasons why I volunteer


There was some talk on volunteering at the end of 2011. Some commentary that suggested that there was pure volunteering i.e. Simply altruistic and everything else besides!

I believe that volunteering is like the rainbow. Many shades..many colors and that the motivation for volunteering is the same. In my 15 years of Volunteer management I am proud of the many motivations volunteers give for volunteering.

I am not one for pigeon holing. I am of the belief that volunteering does not fit into any category.

Volunteering in my eye is lucid, flowing, powerful and “unshapeable!” Have I coined a word?

And for goodness sake – those of you that conduct research or write articles on what exactly is a volunteer and what motivates a volunteer..here is a tip – ask a Volunteer Manager!!

After 15 years of managing volunteers I write this little piece. Of course you may have much more to add. But this is my experience. I am richer for it!

Thanks for taking to time to read.


20 reasons why I volunteer

I volunteer because I want to give back
I volunteer because I want to take back
I volunteer because I believe in your cause
I volunteer because I need social contact
I volunteer because it’s the right thing to do
I volunteer because it’s the clever thing to do
I volunteer because it helps people
I volunteer because it helps me
I volunteer because my skills can assist people
I volunteer because I want to use my skills
I volunteer because you need me
I volunteer because I need you
I volunteer because it’s a job someone needs to do
I volunteer because it will help me find a job
I volunteer because in a dark world volunteering can bring light
I volunteer because I can pour light on my skills and abilities
I volunteer because it makes a difference to people
I volunteer because I can
I volunteer because it’s important to you
I volunteer because it’s important to me

Comments

  1. Published in a Volunteer Wellington newsletter about 10 years ago, a list of 10 best reasons to volunteer included: To get away from tele-marketing calls.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Thank you speech to Volunteers 2 - Guest Post

A thank you speech for volunteers