Contact DJ om acim4me@live.com

Name

Email *

Message *

Thursday, September 2, 2010

Volunteer Management: Views that do my blood pressure no good!

Ah

Funny the things you come across on the net! I like to spend a bit of time searching for happenings to do with volunteer management and views and opinions and news on same.

There are some great gems I recently came across from different blogs and websites.

So here are my current top three blood pressure risers!

Number 3

“Please make the effort to make your job more fun too. There will always be parts of your job you don't like -- delegate some of it to a volunteer (who might enjoy it!)”

Number 2

“Volunteer supervisors who are inexperienced at managing others would likely benefit from reading books or articles on the art of supervision or attending an in-service training on supervision basics.”

And my current Number 1

“If you really wanna go for the management track, start by leading a volunteer community first. It’s the easiest management there is. If you like that and if you succeed – if people rally around you and your group accomplishes tough challenges – then you’ll stand a better chance of succeeding at tougher kinds of management, like leading employees.”


How’s your blood pressure? :-)

2 comments:

  1. Oh DJ I did get a laugh, they are just great aren't they??

    Your number 1 - as a volunteer yeah sure it is easy to take 60 kids and 30 adults away for a week & get the group to 'rally around'. I didn't need any management experience or skills.

    It is really sad to see such uneducated comments. As I said many a time, I have been managing people for over 15 years, this is my first volunteer role & am I have made no changes to alter my style from the corporate sector where I managed large teams in finance, communication, developers and manufacturing.

    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Heather for your response! Funny and sad at the same time eh?

    I think your own life experience is a perfect example how real and serious a Volunteer Management role is. Thank you for sharing that!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your message. It will shortly be reviewed. Namaste! DJ

Featured Post

The simple act of kindness.

How we learn from our children! This post was inspired by an act of my daughter. When her mum arrived at work today she found this...