Contact DJ om acim4me@live.com

Name

Email *

Message *

Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Arrogance – so be it if you bring new ideas into the world of volunteer management!

Hosting one’s own blog can be fraught with risks. Mainly those associated with the “who the hell does he think he is?” type. And I guess that comes with the territory of making public your personal views.

One of the main reasons I do this is that I can no longer keep my head down. I love what I do – I love my profession and I love to share what I think! LOL as many know already.

In many case I keep my own counsel but a blog gives me an opportunity to talk, speculate, conjure up thought processes, and stimulate emotive responses and provide yet another avenue where one has the potential to give birth to a new idea in volunteer management.

Maybe someone out there will someday post an idea or a thought that will be our most amazing Eureka moment!

Who knows? I am ambitious!

I am delighted to see people posting on this blog so far. I hope that others do too.

It’s already a site with serious reflection, satire, humour and devil advocacy!

Above all – this site does not take itself too seriously. Though serious issues can be addressed now and then

Then post



Talk to me


Postulate


I just love that word. It’s so rich with possibilities!

I was inspired to post this piece after reading another blog

So With thanks to Seth Godin and his wonderful blog at

http://sethgodin.typepad.com/seths_blog/

Arrogant

This is a fear and a paradox of doing work that's important.

A fear because so many of us are raised to avoid appearing arrogant. Being called arrogant is a terrible slur, it means that you're not only a failure, but a poser as well.

It's a paradox, though, because the confidence and attitude that goes with bringing a new idea into the world ("hey, listen to this,") is a hair's breadth away, or at least sometimes it feels that way, from being arrogant.

And so we keep our head down. Better, they say, to be invisible and non-contributing than risk being arrogant.

That feels like a selfish, cowardly cop out to me.

Better, I think, to make a difference and run the risk of failing sometimes, of being made fun of, and yes, appearing arrogant.

It's far better than the alternative.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your message. It will shortly be reviewed. Namaste! DJ

Featured Post

The simple act of kindness.

How we learn from our children! This post was inspired by an act of my daughter. When her mum arrived at work today she found this...